The MÉGANE R.S. TROPHY-R*, the most high performance production car Renault has ever put on the market, has set the lap record of 2’14’316 at Tailem Bend Motorsport Park in the front-wheel-drive production-car category.
The against-the-clock record at Tailem Bend - the 2019 International Motorsport Facility of the World - was the first record for the Megane.R.S. Trophy-R in Australia and marks the official launch of the French hot hatch in the country.
The Megane R.S. Trophy-R was driven by the Renault backed Garry Rogers Motorsport TCR Australia driver, James Moffat, who set the record with a one lap flyer around the circuit.
“To be able to take a road car and put it onto a track such as The Bend Motorsport Park and set a record time at the circuit that rivalled the times of the production cars racing here this weekend really shows the capabilities of the car,” Moffat said.
“The Megane R.S. Trophy-R was first of all a great fun car to drive and I was very impressed with not only the engine performance but the braking and cornering performance, I really have nothing but good things to say about it, it was just so much fun,” he continued.
With global numbers extremely limited (500 worldwide) Australia secured only 11 Megane R.S. Trophy-R vehicles which were all sold online at record pace following the car’s global release in July. Renault Australia has also secured one Megane R.S. Trophy-R Record breaking version (one of only 30 worldwide) which will go on sale in 2020 via a public auction. Australia will also receive 100 of the limited edition Megane R.S. Trophy.
The Megane R.S. Trophy-R is forged by Renault’s immense history in motorsport, and perpetuates the legend of the record-breaking Megane R.S., once more bringing to the roads the technologies and know-how Renault Sport has developed on the racetrack. For this car, Renault Sport engineers have pushed their expertise further than ever before. The outcome was validated by a new FWD record on the Nürburgring in the Megane R.S. Trophy-R Record Breaking car.
“What an amazing way to kick off the Megane R.S. Trophy-R’s story in Australia, with yet another track record set by this high performance hot-hatch,” Anouk Poelmann, Renault Australia Managing Director said.
“With Australia’s allocation for Megane R.S. Trophy-R already sold out, and more than 50 people already registering their interest for the Megane R.S. Trophy-R Record Braking version, it is clear this Renault Sport prepared vehicle has a very strong place in the hearts of car enthusiasts in this country,” Poelmann continued.
The Megane R.S. Trophy (due late 2019) and Megane R.S. Trophy-R (due early 2020) will complete the Megane Renault Sport family in Australia which will also include Megane R.S. Sport and Megane R.S. Cup Chassis.
The new MEGANE R.S. TROPHY-R has the same exceptionally efficient 1.8 L 300 bhp engine as the Trophy version (167 bhp/l). So the Renault Sport wizards did not focus on power to enhance performance, they looked elsewhere in three main spheres of development:
- Drastic reductions in mass. The quest to reduce weight looked at every detail, from the absence of a rear seat to the adoption of carbon wheel rims (Megane R.S. Trophy-R Record breaking version only), not forgetting the Akrapovič titanium exhaust line. Verdict on the scales: -130 kg lighter than the Megane R.S. Trophy without options.
- Completely redesigned suspension, for a more radical result. Front axle with increased negative camber, lighter rear H axle, specific adjustable Öhlins shock-absorbers, Bridgestone Potenza S007 tyres exclusive to Renault Sport, and high performance braking with optional Brembo carbon-ceramic discs (Megane R.S. Trophy-R Record Breaking version only), etc.
- Aerodynamics improved even further for better support and better circulation of flows (specific underbody fairings and carbon diffuser) and additionally optimised thermal control (NACA air intake, brake scoops, etc.).
This expert work has been validated by the stopwatch: a new absolute record for a front-wheel drive production car was achieved on 5th April 2019 by the New MEGANE R.S. TROPHY-R Record Breaking version on the 20.6 km of the Nordschleife at the Nürburgring in 07:40.100. It also clocked up a reference time of 07:45.389 on the official full lap of the circuit. This is an extreme performance bearing in mind the margin of progress is increasingly narrow at such a level.
Megane Trophy-R Record Breaking version exclusive features:
- Carbon Wheel, developed by Carbon Revolution in Geelong brings an additional weight saving of 2kg/wheel, a ground-breaking feature in the world of generalist car manufactures.
- 390 mm carbon-ceramic front brakes, taking up all the available space in a 19’’ wheel. The first time ever for a generalist manufacturer
*The Megane R.S.Trophy-R used for the purpose of this record was not the Megane R.S. Trophy-R Record Breaking version and was not equipped with Carbon Wheels or Carbon Ceramic Brakes.